Saturday, July 20, 2013

Avengers Assemble Animated Show Review


Avengers Assemble Disney XD animated review

      As much as I love superheroes, this show would have to be pretty bad for me not to watch it. Although I have an issue or two with this show, that is not the case. After watching the first four episodes, there's no reason why I won't be watching every other episode. 
     Avengers Assemble takes up where the Avengers movie left off. We see our six heroes get back together to face all kinds of new threats. And we also have a new member, Sam Wilson aka Falcon.  


      This is the second Avengers cartoon to air on Disney XD channel and frankly I have to say that I liked the first one Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes better. Allow me to explain by doing a little comparison.

      Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes was more comic based as opposed to following the movie. This gave the series a rich history to draw from as well as a bigger cast of characters. We're given Ant-Man and Wasp from the start and we later get the Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, and Vision. Seeing the Masters of Evil, Yellow Jacket, and the Scott Lang Ant-man was cool.  The show was drawn well and had excellent voice acting. As I watched the series, I enjoyed the action as well as the multiple and dangling plotlines.  The Skrull invasion was extremely well done and fun to watch.

     The current series Avengers Assemble is as I said more of a follow up to the Avengers movie. So we get the limited cast of Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thor, Hulk, Iron-Man and the rookie Falcon. My only real issue with the show is the non serious nature of the show. I don't mind comedy in my action, but I think this show goes a little too far. The third episode starts the team arguing over cookies that Falcon brings to their HQ. After the villian(s) are defeated, Hulk finds a single cookie left and the episode fades out with the Avengers arguing over who gets the last cookie. While that is a little funny, the first show gave me drama, mystery, and intrigue. I tend to only see a multitude of punch lines from the newer series. There is no sense of urgency with the team. Everyone is so cocky that I never feel that the world is in peril or that anything is at stake. Although it's only one issue, it's a pretty big issue.  

    The current series has nice animation and I like Falcon. He comes in as this rookie who is in awe of the Avengers. Falcon is the rookie of the team. He even speaks about geeking out being with them. I like his character. Adrian Pasdar does a good job bringing Iron-Man to life as well. 

    Its still early in the series; it has a solid base but there's still room for improvement. If I didn't have Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes to compare it to, I'd probably wouldn't be so critical of the current series. Only time will tell if Avengers Assemble will last or not.


    B+ grade for Avengers Assembly

1 comment:

  1. I like your review. I loved Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I was prejudiced against this new show because of the cancellation of the first. Maybe I'll catch a few eps to make a fair judgement. You're right, Avengers EMH had many dramatic moments.

    ReplyDelete